A tablet device with at least 1GB RAM is recommended.
* Supports these file formats: CBZ, CBR, ZIP, RAR, PNG, JPG, BMP.
* OCR unknown Japanese words.
* Automatically perform Rikaichan-style dictionary lookup on the first OCR'd word.
* View results from EDICT and up to 4 EPWING dictionaries at the same time.
* Attempts to strip out furigana during OCR image pre-processing.
* Toggle vertical/horizontal text orientation.
* OCR'd text can be sent to these destinations: Clipboard, OCR Error Correction Editor (to manually correct OCR errors such as changing a つ to a っ), Aedict app (if installed), AnkiDroid app (if installed), Eijiro/ALC J-E web dictionary, Goo Jisho J-E/J-J web dictionary, Sanseido J-J web dictionary, Yahoo Jisho J-E/J-J web dictionary, Google web search, Google image search.
* Settings that allow you to modify colors and hide unneeded OCR buttons.
* Swipes, buttons, and tap behaviors can be customized.
* Bounding boxes are displayed over text recognized by the OCR engine.
* "Nudge" buttons for minor capture box adjustments.
If you would like to support the developer, there is also a donation version of this app (it is identical to the standard free version):
The source code can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ocrmangareaderforandroid/
Thanks to the creators of the following:
* A Comic Viewer (the comic book reader app that OCR Manga Reader is based on)
* Tess-two (Tesseract and Leptonica libraries compiled for Android)
* EDICT (Japanese dictionary)
* Rikaichan (dictionary lookup algorithm)
* eblib (EPWING library)
* ColorPickerPreference (color picker)
Problem: I'm seeing the "Unable to load image" message when I try to open a comic.
Solution: In the Advanced settings, enable the "Low memory mode" option and try setting both "Max image width" and "Max image height" to 1600 (or even lower). Higher numbers will result in better image quality but use more RAM and may result in more "Unable to load image" messages.